So, how does this whole hiring an editor thing work, anyway? Here’s what you can expect from the editing process in 5 steps:
1. You send me an email with your project details and any questions. I will respond within 24 hours.
2. We establish project terms over email or in a short phone call. For more substantial projects I require a standard contract. Deadlines are mutually agreed upon based on your own needs as well as my schedule. Typically, projects of less than 7,000 words can be returned within 48 hours. Longer works, such as novels, can normally be completed within two or three weeks.
3. Once all of your preliminary questions are answered, it’s time to get started. Send me your document if you haven’t already done so and I will then send you your first Paypal invoice. I require a 50% payment up front to begin work and the final 50% after work is completed and you’ve had a chance to review.
4. I do my magic. I send two documents back to you- a clean copy with all of my suggested edits already made, and a track changes version with comments and edits red-lined. This gives you the opportunity to see exactly which changes have been made, and even accept/reject them individually if you wish.
5. After I complete the work you have a full week to review, ask for clarification as needed, discuss changes, and pay your final invoice.
That’s it! Throughout this process and even afterward I am always available by email to discuss your project. And sometimes just to discuss life or whatever, because I work from home and am therefore starved for human contact. ;)